When the Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped down as senior members of the Royal Family last year it was agreed they would no longer use their HRH titles. But an exhibition celebrating the life of the late Princess of Wales accidentally used Harry’s HRH title. The Royal Collection Trust, who are running the temporary exhibition, acknowledged it was an “administrative error” and have since changed the label to just read “the Duke of Sussex”.
The HRH title was used on a placard accompanying Princess Diana’s stunning wedding gown.
The original sign at the event at Kensington Palace read: “Lent by HRH the Duke of Cambridge and the Duke of Sussex.”
Harry’s title was also used on other placards accompanying some of Diana’s dresses.
The Royal Collection Trust acknowledged the error on the sign, and said they would be updated.
A spokesman said: “Due to an administrative error, for which the Royal Collection Trust was responsible, the labels were incorrect and will be updated.”
Royal fans visiting the exhibition noticed the error, which wasn’t rectified until Thursday, June 11.
The placard next to Diana’s iconic taffeta wedding dress now reads: “Lent by HRH the Duke of Cambridge and the Duke of Sussex”.
Royal fans were furious at the incorrect use of the HRH title and have welcomed the change.
JUST IN: Harry and Meghan ‘gone rogue’ expert lays into Sussexes amid rift
Others urged the Queen to strip the couple of “all titles”, including the Duke and Duchess of Sussex title that they have been allowed to keep.
Another suggested Harry, who is currently sixth in line to the throne, should lose his place in the line of succession.
They said: “Remove all titles and succession.”
Diana’s wedding dress is a focal point of the exhibition, and showcases the iconic 25ft (7.6m) sequin-encrusted train, the longest wedding dress train in royal history.
The exhibition, which looks at designing an outfit for a royal client and also features those who dressed the Queen, Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother, is being held at the Kensington Palace Orangery.
It opened to the public June 3, and will stay until early January 2022.
The launch of the exhibition was planned to launch a month ahead of what would have been Diana’s 60th birthday on July 1.