Meghan and Prince Harry relayed to the Duchess of Sussex’s friend Ms King the Duke finally spoke to his brother and father over the weekend, several days after the Sussexes’ interview with Oprah Winfrey. While it had already been reported by a British newspaper on Sunday that the brothers had been in contact, the US broadcaster added during CBS This Morning Harry’s chats with his closest relatives were “unproductive”.
The decision by the Sussexes to provide details about the Duke’s private conversations is “another grenade” launched on the royals across the pond, according to columnist Steven Glover.
He wrote in the Daily Mail about why Harry and Meghan had “chosen to lob another grenade at the Royal Family just as Charles and William were recovering from the last assault?”
He continued: “For her calculated intervention will surely make the resumption of peace talks between the two sides more difficult.
“It could widen the gulf, and increase a justifiable sense of betrayal in royal circles.”
Mr Glover also discussed the possible impact this “breach of confidentiality” may have had on Prince William.
The Duke was photographed on Tuesday leaving Kensington Palace in a car.
The commentator wrote: “Appearances can be deceptive, but if Prince William’s glum face yesterday was any guide, he was seriously cheesed off by the Sussexes’ breach of confidentiality. One can understand his feelings.”
Other commentators have criticised over the past few days the Sussexes’ decision to relay private information to Ms King.
READ MORE: William v Harry row: Insider lifts lid on royal feud
talkRADIO host mike Graham wrote on Twitter: “Another shocking betrayal of private conversations from Harry and Meghan.”
The Daily Mail’s Saturday Diary editor Richard Eden said: “This is extraordinary.
“Are we going to have a running commentary for years to come from Harry and Meghan’s friends on their relations with the Royal Family? If so, the Royals will be wary of speaking to them.”
And the Queen’s former press secretary Dickie Arbiter said: “Seems like the narrative is being driven by Gayle King of CBS.
“I don’t think a continual play on American TV is quite what The Queen had in mind. Time for a cooling off period – best for everyone to put up and shut up.”
On the other hand, Meghan and Harry’s biographer Omid Scobie sided with the Sussexes, saying: “Bit confused here, so just want to get this new royal protocol correct.
“It’s okay when info is leaked to the papers via a palace source but not when Gayle King shares it on TV? Righty-ho then”.
In the wake of Ms King’s revelation, a royal insider said the Royal Household won’t be “giving a running commentary on private conversations”.
The Queen had already stated in her 61-word-long statement issued in the wake of the interview with Oprah she wanted matters to be addressed “by the family privately”.
Yet, Prince William’s feelings over Ms King’s words may transpire by what a source close to him recently said.
They told Vanity Fair: “There’s a lack of trust on both sides which makes moving forward very hard.
“William is now worried that anything he says to his brother will be plastered over American TV.”
This “grenade” was lobbed by Ms King only a week after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex spoke with Oprah about their relationship with senior royals, the reasons behind Megxit and their experiences with palace staff and aides.
Among the most shocking claims made by the Sussexes, Meghan said she was not provided help when she was suicidal during her first pregnancy.
The Duchess also said there were conversations over “how dark” the skin of her firstborn would be – held in tandem with discussion on whether he should get a title and security.