ITV do not deny Piers Morgan left GMB after Meghan Markle made 'a formal claim about him'


Last night Piers Morgan announced he was leaving Good Morning Britain, following his controversial comments about Meghan Markle earlier in the week. New reports suggest the Duchess herself may have waded into the row, and submitted a formal complaint to ITV about his remarks. ITV refused to deny suggestions the royal submitted a formal complaint.

On Monday morning’s show, the journalist said he didn’t “believe a word she says”, prompting a fierce social media backlash and over 41,000 Ofcom complaints.

Mr Morgan went as far to dismiss Meghan’s claims that she “didn’t want to be alive any more”.

Mental health charity Mind said it was “disappointed” by his comments and Ofcom has launched an investigation into the matter.

ITV bosses are understood to have asked Mr Morgan to apologise to the Duchess on Tuesday morning’s show but he refused.

In response to the journalist’s decision to leave the show, ITV said in an statement: “ITV has accepted this decision and has nothing further to add.”

On Wednesday morning, the former Mirror editor said he stood by the comments he made on Monday’s programme.

He wrote on Twitter: “On Monday, I said I didn’t believe Meghan Markle in her Oprah interview.

“I’ve had time to reflect on this opinion, and I still don’t. If you did, OK.

JUST IN: Susanna Reid fights back tears as she addresses Piers’ exit from GMB

“Freedom of speech is a hill I’m happy to die on. Thanks for all the love, and hate. I’m off to spend more time with my opinions.”

ITV has been approached for comment by Express.co.uk.

The Duchess’s spokespeople declined to comment.

MORE TO FOLLOW…



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.