Israeli Defence Minister Benny Gantz ordered a “massive reinforcement” of security forces in an attempt to contain the unrest. More than 100 people have been killed in Gaza and seven have died in Israel after violence erupted earlier this week.
On Wednesday, the United Nations warned of the possibility of “all-out war” due to the conflict between Israel and Hamas.
It came after the deadly exchange of rockets fired by Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip and the Israeli military.
On Thursday, two Israeli infantry units and one armoured unit were positioned near its border with Gaza.
At least 7,000 army reservist were also reportedly called up to aid the security operation.
READ MORE: Israeli army confirms ground troops ‘currently attacking Gaza’
On Thursday, Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned the country is fighter a war “on two fronts”.
His comments came amid a wave of street battles between Arab and Jewish citizens across Israel.
Mr Netanyahu told reporters: “We have no bigger threat now than these pogroms and we have no choice but to restore law and order via determined use of force.”
Israel’s President Reuven Rivlin warned against a civil war and appealed to all sides to “please stop this madness”.
In a tweet on Wednesday, the Palestinian Authority condemned Israel’s “military aggression” and said it is “traumatising an already beleaguered population of two million people who have been imprisoned by Israel’s illegal blockade for 14 years, suffering its inhumane impact on all aspects of life”.