How to clean mould on your walls – easy hacks to get rid of mould for good

Moulds are not only unsightly and destructive, but if left unattended too long can cause irreversible loss to decorations, furnishings, fabrics and walls. Living with moulds or accompanying moulds for long periods can cause potential health issues, especially within young children, elderly people or those with a weak immune system or underlying health conditions. The best way to ensure you permanently get rid of mould after cleaning is by preventing the buildup of moisture in your house.

You can do this by properly ventilating the property at all times, ensuring you open the windows every day to get some fresh air inside.

Some choose to buy a dehumidifier, but not only can these be cosily, they require regular cleaning and maintenance.

Condensation is one of the biggest mould problems that occur in the home, and another way you can keep it at bay for good is by drying your washing outside.

Drying your laundry on a radiator increases indoor condensation and – as an added negative – will stop your central heating working properly while increasing your energy bills.

READ MORE: How to clean your tongue

How to clean mould on your walls

Soapy water and traditional cleaning products aren’t that powerful and so they don’t generally tackle mould very well.

You could use a specialised mould spray for this step.

But if you don’t have mould spray and don’t want the added cost, a solution of bleach and water can be just as effective.

Take care to protect yourself by wearing eye protection, gloves and a face mask if necessary.

While bleach works well to kill surface fungus and remove the ugly marks on the walls left behind by mould, it doesn’t properly remove it.

To really get rid of the mould, you need to penetrate into the wall as bleach cleaning leaves the roots relatively undisturbed.

That means the problem is very likely to reoccur, sometimes within just a few days.

To kill mould beneath the surface, simply spray undiluted white wine vinegar onto the affected area and let it dry.

Don’t worry about the strong smell as it will dissipate as soon as the vinegar has completely dried.

Once you’ve removed all the mould, keep those surfaces looking clean by:

  • Wiping up puddles or spills immediately
  • After a shower or bath, leave the bathroom door wide open with the extractor fan on
  • Spread out damp towels so they dry very quickly
  • Use mould-resistant paint in the bathroom or mould-prone areas
  • Clean the bathroom weekly with your favourite disinfecting product

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.