Charles was in the firing line during Harry’s tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey earlier this month. He and his wife Meghan Markle discussed their misery behind Palace walls, which led up to their decision to leave royal life behind last year. The Duke of Sussex also suggested his rift with his family deepened after his departure. He claimed that Charles stopped taking his calls after the Sussexes’ announced they were going to “step back” from the royal frontline, while alleging that both his father and brother Prince William are “trapped” within the system of the monarchy.
Then Harry issued one of his most surprising blows; he claimed “my family literally cut me off financially” in the first quarter of 2020.
He said this made it difficult for them to afford security costs.
Harry added: “I’ve got what my mum left me, and without that, we would not have been able to do this [live in California].”
But, a source close to the Prince of Wales told royal correspondent Roya Nikkhah that Charles was “very upset and cut up” over the interview.
They added: “It was a surprise to hear he’d been cut off, given the bank statements.”
They said Harry’s father had provided financial support to the Sussexes after their move to America “while they found their feet”.
A friend of Charles also pointed out to the Sunday Times that Harry and Meghan “wanted to become ‘financially independent’” when they left the Firm, a promise which seemed at odds with their complaints of not having enough support.
Reports from last March also suggested that Charles had handed £2million to Harry and Meghan out of his own pocket when they left the royal frontline.
He allegedly gave them this lump sum from his private income out of the Duchy of Cornwall estate — this was expected to cover the couple’s security costs for their first year away from the Firm.
In March last year, a source told the MailOnline: “Charles has agreed to pay a ‘private contribution’ to the Sussexes.
“It will not be revealed how much and what that is used for, but it is believed to be around £2million.
“It would not be a surprise if it went into meeting the bill for security.
“However, the Prince of Wales does not have an infinite amount of money.
“The total income from the Duchy of Cornwall is annually around £21million.”
At the time, the Sussexes’ security bill was estimated to be around £4million a year.
READ MORE: Camilla is ‘constitutionally suited’ to being Queen: ‘Never complains’
The protection costs for the rebel couple were a highly contentious issue at the time, with many British taxpayers expressing their frustration at the thought of paying for the Sussexes when they were no longer working royals and living on a different continent.
However, the couple confirmed that they had set up “privately funded security arrangements” just weeks into their new lives in the US.
When speaking to Oprah, Harry explained how he had been incredibly concerned that he would not be able to afford security for his family after the Palace withdrew its support.
The Duke also said that although their status had changed, the threat or risk to his world-famous family had not reduced.
Speaking on Pod Save the Queen with host Ann Gripper, Daily Mirror royal editor Russell Myers said Harry’s money complaints had raised questions from many commentators.
Prince Philip ‘back home and causing trouble’ after hospital stay [INSIGHT]
Anne cast doubt on public encounters: ‘It wasn’t me who said that!’ [EXPLAINED]
‘Furious’ William left to calm royal waters as Megxit row continues [EXPOSED]
He recalled a criticism from one source, who allegedly said: “How on earth does Harry think that people should have sympathy for a 36-year-old man who has just had to find his own way in the world, who is a millionaire in his own right and is complaining about being cut off by his father?”
The Duke of Sussex is thought to have been left at least £10million from Princess Diana’s estate.
Harry also suggested his relationship with his father was struggling during his groundbreaking interview with Oprah.
He said that while Charles is taking his calls now, “there’s a lot to work through” in rebuilding their relationship.
He added: “I feel really let down, because he’s been through something similar.
“He knows what pain feels like, and this is…Archie’s his grandson.
“But at the same time, you know, I will always love him, but there’s a lot of hurt that’s happened.”
He concluded that it was one of his priorities to try and “heal” that relationship.
Charles and William are said to have spoken to Harry over the phone since the interview was first broadcast, but the Sussexes’ friend and talk show host Gayle King said these conversations were “not productive”.